Get ready for Oculus Rift ready titles powered by SunBurn

I finally received my OculusRift a few weeks ago and I've been doing a number of fun things with it!  Lot's of excitement is all over the web as people want to develop and experience new 3D games within the Oculus Rift.  I've updated my Stereoscopic Renderer for full Oculus Rift rendering and I just added full headtracking support!  You can easily add this functionality to your games in less than 6 lines of code!  Check out the video for what it looks like and how to use it.  If you need a refresher on how easy it is to get Stereoscopic support in SunBurn check out my blog post here: Stereo3D in SunBurn

Start coding now:  3D StereoscopicRenderer Plugin

Get the sample: Dojo Framework (OculusRift + Headtracking)

Adding OculusRift support to your game is still under 5 lines of code!

If you have a shipping title and you're interested in adding support, it should be easy.  All the samples in SunBurn are super simple to add support just by following the instructions in the plugin or copying the sample.  If you run into a snag, just post or even better - crack open the source and  fix it!

How can you help? Refining the headtracking integration experience...

This plugin will handle all the heavy lifting for rendering to the Oculus Rift and getting all the headtracking data back from the sensors.  By default it will auto update the stereo views to match exactly what you're looking at in the Rift.  However, creating a seamless experience with existing character controllers will require you guys to think about the best way to do this.  For example, "how do the headtracking an mouse play nice together"?  I'm not sure, hopefully you guys can help refine and develop best practices for this.

And last but certainly not least Stereoscopic OculusRift support is incoming on SunBurn 2.1!

That's right folks, C# Win8 Modern RT apps running in stereo mode with Oculus Rift support is right around the corner with the upcoming public 2.1 Early Adopter release.  I'll be releasing the plugin updates for the 2.1 EA program starting soon.  Below is a pic of the stereo renderer running on my SurfaceRT.  And for those of you wondering, there were almost no changes to my sources to make this happen, 2.1 really is that close to 2.0! ;)

Go forth and embrace the future of all things stereoscopic (and Oculus Rift) in SunBurn!

-Holophone3D

Posted 03-18-2013 10:16 PM by holophone3d

Comments

Darkside wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering support in SunBurn is here!
on 03-19-2013 10:11 AM

Hope you don't mind

I've taken the except or you post and circulated it on my blog and all it's syndications like code proect (www.codeproject.com/.../ArticleVersion.aspx)

Fantastic efforts and keep up the great work!!

JohnK "bobthecbuilder" wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering support in SunBurn is here!
on 03-21-2013 6:34 PM

Awesome work, that looks amazing! :)

bamyazi wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering support in SunBurn is here!
on 04-01-2013 7:21 PM

According to the last email i had from their mailing list the dev kit will ship with full source for the SDK so fingers crossed it won't mean any USB hacking to get the head tracking support.

Jock Findlay wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering support in SunBurn is here!
on 04-20-2013 5:06 PM

Great stuff! Looking forward to trying this out!

bamyazi wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering and headtracking support in SunBurn is here!
on 06-05-2013 9:25 PM

This post and an email a few hours ago that said 'Your Oculus order is about to ship' - great work on the headtracking support - not had a chance to look at your code yet - out of interest does it register as a HID device or did you have to do some extra work ?

on 06-18-2013 3:07 PM

Got my Rift a couple of days ago - seriously awesome Titans of Space demo blew me away!!!...Unfortunately when i try to install the Dojo framework demo you link to i just get an 'Installation was unable to complete' - any ideas?

CopperCircle wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering and headtracking support in SunBurn is here!
on 08-01-2013 4:38 PM

This is great, any update on the 2.1 version?

Thanks.

Nipun wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering and headtracking support in SunBurn is here!
on 09-10-2013 10:06 AM

Cant get this to work :( Im getting the following assembly error even through I have all the references in place.

s2.postimg.org/.../Img.png

Does the StereoRender run into issues with Sunburn 2.0.18.7 ?

on 03-25-2014 7:13 PM

I guess right about now you should start thinking about fixing those matrix transform bugs

www.businessinsider.com/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift-for-2-billion-2014-3

Magic73 wrote re: Oculus Rift 3D stereoscopic rendering and headtracking support in SunBurn is here!
on 10-23-2014 4:36 AM

Any plans on updating to the 2.1 version?

Please login to post comments.